Teaching Individuals How to Use Food and Lifestyle as Medicine
Everyday, you are faced with multiple lifestyle choices that will either promote health or contribute to a lower quality of life and chronic diseases like obesity, heart disease, Type 2 Diabetes, stroke, certain cancers, and dementia.
Your lifestyle choices determine what you eat, how active you are, how you manage stress, how likely you are to sustain healthy changes, and ultimately contribute to your risk for developing chronic lifestyle diseases.
Perfectly Produce offers guided lifestyle management help, including nutrition, culinary training, holistic fitness, and behavior change skills training, to individuals at high-risk for developing chronic lifestyle diseases. Risk factors include:
- Overweight - BMI >25 (find out here)
- Fasting blood sugar >100 mg/dl
- Blood pressure >120/80 mmHg
- Triglycerides >150 mg/dl
- HDL <35 mg/dl
Any combination of these factors increases your risk for developing chronic lifestyle diseases, but the good news is that the progression of risk from lifestyle choices is preventable. And this is how we help. We guide you step-by-step on where to start and how to consistently make lifestyle changes to support your health and weight loss goals for a lifetime... a real lifetime - one with too little time, too much stress, and too many temptations.
- CARE integrates nutrition, culinary skills training, holistic fitness, and behavior modification (with topics like stress management and how the brain makes new habits) into a simple, only one step at a time, real life solution.
- CARE uses food - not supplements or meal replacement products.
- CARE emphasizes the value of incremental change - avoiding all-or-nothing mentality.
- CARE teaches you what a truly therapeutic, healthy lifestyle is - one that helps protect you from chronic disease long-term. Experience this alternative to short-term, rapid weight loss and temporary trends.
- Individual medical nutrition therapy (MNT) consultations include a full review of medical history, nutrition assessment, nutritional diagnosis, and medical nutrition recommendations.
- Individual consultations are best for those seeking a nutritional diagnosis for a specific medical condition not requiring longer-term support for implementing lifestyle recommendations. (CARE should be considered if on-going support is desired.)
- Nutritionist created recipes developed to control blood sugar and help individuals transition to a whole foods, produce-based diet.
- Simple, doable recipes for any skill level using familiar whole, real foods - including favorites like cheese and popcorn, meatloaf, and new favorites like homemade kale chips and roasted chickpeas!
- Each e-book contains recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks, a 4-week meal plan + shopping lists, and weekly make-ahead cooking guides.
- The Perfectly Produce blog is our journal to share in this journey with you on how to navigate real life to real health. Staying committed to using lifestyle as medicine isn't always easy within our current environments, but knowing others are also trying can provide valuable social support.
- Our blog is also home to our CARE Online Community - the source of 24/7 support and guidance for all CARE Weight Loss & Lifestyle Program members!
1. The American Institute for Cancer Research: http://www.aicr.org/cancer-research-update/2012/march_21_2012/cru-linking-diabetes-to.html
2. Crane, Paul K. MD et al, Glucose Levels and Risk of Dementia, The New England Journal of Medicine. August 8, 2013. http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1215740
Photography by Papillion Sky